On February 21st the Town of Rumford celebrated its 200th birthday. There will be many events celebrating the event all year long. The Town of Rumford was originally called New Pennacook. New Pennacook Township was incorporated as Rumford on Feb. 21, 1800. (Pennacook Valley Festival is an annual event.)
Johnathan Keyes of Massachusetts was the first settler. The town got its name from Sir Benjamin Thompson (Count Rumford).